An Important Milestone

Today the Census Bureau delivered the final state-level files from the 2010 Census, permitting the redistricting process that will produce 435 geographical areas of representation for the House of Representatives. As with other operations of the 2010 Census, we’re a little ahead of mandated schedule.

Looking back over the past few months, all seems like a whirl of frenetic activity, with thousands of Census Bureau staff working long hours diligently, producing the initial files, carefully checking the quality of every response we obtained, making sure all the answers were consistent, and assembling counts for many different levels of geography. These data processing staff are committed to quality, and they don’t permit the release of counts until all the quality reviews have been passed. Then a whole set of experts in particular substantive areas (e.g., race/ethnicity, housing) examined all the counts, comparing them to other sources of data (e.g., the American Community Survey estimates), looking for anomalies. Many of these experts will now turn to doing their own analyses of the data, but our first duty is to get the counts out to the thousands of users in the states.

The vast majority of these staff do their jobs without fanfare or public visibility. They are public servants, in the sense that what motivates their day-to-day work is that they are contributing to a keystone of our society, based in the constitution, motivated by deep principles of the founding fathers. As statisticians, computer scientists, and demographers, it doesn’t get better than this.

I am proud to be a part of this group; they’re special people, and they deserve the thanks of all of us at this moment of their success.

This entry was posted in Redistricting. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to An Important Milestone

1. Enrique says:

What strikes me is how the White American population, excluding immigrants, have not increased at all DURING THE LAST THREE DECADES. Why American-born Anglos don´t have children? Is life so difficult in America to have babies? Are babies so much expensive that you have to import them from other nations? It is really incredible what is happening to U.S.-born Whites. Probably American mothers don´t have time to have children as they have to pay a nanny that costs a lot, and there are not public kindergarden.
    Even if during the last decade non-Hispanic white population increased by 2.2 million, if we exclude white immigrants, U.S. born Whites are not increasing at all. But not just during the last decade but DURING THE LAST THREE DECADES (30 years) AT LEAST.
    So, white American parents are in a very, very bad situation. It is sad.

2. Bill Harper, citizen says:

Where is the data available for download by citizens?
    Data that is “released” if interested citizens cannot find and use it readily is not available.

3. Pam says:

I understand that redistricting is important to politicians and special interest groups like ACORN, but when will we have access to data that the rest of us need?

Looking forward to seeing more data from the 2010 Census!

5. Please visit http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/ for 2010 Census data and interactive maps.

6. Pazzino says:

The data is available, but there are no maps to reference the data to. When will the maps be available??

7. DLS says:

You can remove your tin foil hat. ACORN is no more. http://www.acorn.org/node/712
    Redistricting is important to EVERYONE. It’s how the people are represented. Your district could gain or lose representation by the redistricting efforts.

8. Jami says:

there are maps you can create using the new FactFinder here:
    if you are a GIS user, you can get shapefiles and create your own maps using the TIGER/Line shapefiles which have been available since December here:

9. Lorita Childress says:

Well if they had done the census correctly they would have not missed my family. We are white and we did not receive a letter, phone call or even a visit. I called, but I got no response. I think the census needs to be retaken and this time make sure everyone is included this time. I just think it is ashame that our government makes such a big show of things that are not true and the public just eats it up. They really need to get things in order before trying to pass off a lie to the american public.

10. Jami says:

You can find maps at the new FactFinder website – create your own:
    (check out the video tutorials)
    or if you are a GIS user, you can get the TIGER/Line shapefiles with all the census 2010 geography here:

11. Joel F says:

Amen Lorita! I finally called the census bureau in late August as we also had not been contacted in any way by them. I did my survey on the phone with them then. This is a demonstration of typical federal government ineptness. We (wife and I) were that percentage of the population chosen for ongoing statistics for a year in 1990 and again in 2000 census after we had moved.

12. Alan Smithee says:

I used Tableau to create a FIP/County level map which shows Median Household income from 2006 to 2008. As soon as the county data files are updated (as shown here: http://www.census.gov/support/USACdataDownloads.html) I could easily swap out the numbers…
    Here is my blog which has the embedded and downloadable map files:

13. Enrique says:

Another interesting thing is why the Central Column of America, from Western Texas to North Dakota is becoming a desert, with diminishing population who is leaving to the East and West Coasts….Curious.

14. Christopher J. Wilmot says:

Dear U.S. Census:
    I am a writer / researcher, and I am amazed that in the year 2011, I cannot find simple, very basic census data on, well, the U.S. Census Bureau website. I used your “Search” function countless times so that I might view the ‘Top 100 U.S. MSA’s (Metropolitan Statistical Areas) by population’ based on the recently concluded 2010 U.S. census.
    Next to state population data used for reapportionment, and ethnic / racial breakdowns, I can’t think of any data more standard or useful to a variety of disciplines than what I am attempting to access. Please, point me in the right direction, if you would. Thank you!

15. For 2010 Census data, please visit American Factfinder: http://factfinder2.census.gov.

16. I’m trying to find more detailed demographics (e.g., income, poverty rates, employment, marital status, etc.) for San Francisco County. All I’ve been been able to retrieve are Race and Occupancy numbers (and I’ve had to download this by Census tract).
    Is there more 2010 information available and I’m just not finding it? If so, where is it and moreover, is there a way to pull this info by zip code?
    My current strategy is determining which census tracts are located in specific zip codes, pulling the tract numbers and adding/averaging all that together.
    There has to be a simpler way…please help. Thanks.

17. American Factfinder will let you access data from multiple geographies within the state, such as census blocks, tracts, voting districts, cities, counties and school districts: http://factfinder2.census.gov.