The Completion of Nonresponse Followup

I am happy to announce that we have completed 99.6% of the Nonresponse Followup interviewing. Over the next few days this will move to 100%. We will continue to conduct quality assurance re-interviews on a sample of the cases, to verify that field procedures were followed. This operation will end on schedule (there might be a couple of offices of the 500 that will require a few extra days). It now seems certain that we will finish the operation under budget. My congratulations to the thousands of workers throughout the country that made this possible.

Today, in about 50-60 offices throughout the country, we began a quality assurance operation that double-checks units judged to be vacant on April 1. It also checks units that we couldn’t find and were recommended to be deleted from our list. Finally, it will call on a set of addresses that were added late to the list and couldn’t be visited during nonresponse followup. This operation will visit about 15 million units and last about a month or so, using about 300,000 enumerators.

This entry was posted in Non-response Follow Up. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to The Completion of Nonresponse Followup

1. Woody says:

I hope that going forwsrd, the entire Census operation it will be a vast management improvement over what has occurred in NRFU! Some of your local LCOM’s have not been responsive to suggestions and open to ideas.
    Best wishes for a brighter future and improvements that will enhance this vital work in the coming decades!

2. Swamp Queen says:

This post is a joke…99.6 complete…ha-ha…We have a county in Fl that has yet to see more than a handful -under 35 cases- in the NRFU-RI-QC. When the LCO or NRFU FOS’s are asked why..they shrug it off..Told don’t worry about it..I want to know who is going to tell the citizens of that county why they will not receive the much needed funding and representation in Congress…This is an election year for many seats. The citizens will loose out while others sit in the LCOM lining their pockets. Thanks Atlanta..Hey Director person maybe you need to make a trip down here and sit and listen to the conversations here at the local restaurant, the NRFU CL and his crew members fill out these blue forms with the ad of lap tops. When asked about why the QC portion was not being done in the area..all you get is “Not my job”… So thanks again for nothing…

3. Diggin says:

It must be that everyone in your area filled out the form. NRFU only interviews at households that forget to fill out the form and send it in to be counted.

4. jeff says:

I know we have been very busy doing a lot of the sloppy followup by those of us motivated to get the count right! I have cleared up 14 cases today alone and 9 did not even have map spots in the AA book. I think it came to over 40 people I got counted today…….it was a very long hot day! We may be 99% “complete” but a lot of people should review a lot of these AA’s or a lot of people will never get counted.
    I would not be so quick to shut down the operation while you still have a experienced crew out there!

5. treuemax says:

6. RAVI KAPOOR says:

IT IS SUBMITTED RESPECTFULLY THAT WORKING WITH CENSUS 2010 HAS GIVEN AN OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN A LOT AND HAS BEEN UNIQUE EXPERIENCE OF PUBLIC RELATION.
    IN VIEW OF THIS IT IS FELT IF DEEM FIT THAT WE MAY HAVE SUCH BLOG WHERE WE CAN EXCHANGE OUR EXPERIENCES TO MAKE CHANGES TO FORTHCOMING CENSUS IF NECESSARY.

7. c leader says:

I worked as a crew leader during NRFU. It started out as an exciting and interesting job, but in the end, it was one of the worst and most demeaning job experiences of my life. Our training drummed the fact into our heads that you could work no longer than 40 hours, but in the last 5 weeks of NRFU, I regularly worked an average of 50 hours per week, for the pay of 40. My LCO was completely mismanaged and made the work for my crew a nightmare. End dates and procedures constantly changed. We we’re told we were doing a great job one day, and the next day, we we’re doing terrible according to them.
    The staff at the LCO seemed to have no idea what they were doing, and at points even stated so to me and my enumerators.
    On Sundays, I would take my 308′s to the LCO, and often would find people reading, sleeping and watching movies. All while my crew was out in the world working away.
    In the last week of NRFU, my crew was indiscriminately handed a stack of 250 EQs filled out with a proxy to recheck. Most of these were for carefully documented buildings that were boarded up, taken via eminent domain, demolished etc. We were hired with the thought that we knew our communities well. Yet the LCO didn’t trust us, and jeopardized our amorphous completion date with the proxy followup. It appeared that workers at the LCO did nothing but create a stack of EQs with proxy checked, without taking a second to read anything else.
    In the end, my FOS was fired for no reason at all, my crew has no idea if they are still working, and I am in complete limbo.
    All this without any form of thank you at all.
    Meanwhile, the census has 10 years to get it right next time…

8. brandy says:

All I can Say is I loved The NRFU Operation, And I can’t for the second operation to start. I LOVE MY TEMP JOB!!!! Say what you will, but I think this is all for a very good cause

9. field enumerator says:

what???

10. Joe Gonzales says:

It was a disaster from the start. My CL spent a good part of the first day telling us about the perks we were not going to get. She also went into great detail on how to fill out the 308 and she was still wrong. She quit after 2 weeks. Our new CL was great but totally frustrated as were the rest of us. I personally know of many people who were not counted. My FOS said it was another group’s job that should have been completed a month ago. We were not trained on how to handle GC’s but we had many. The whole operation was poorly managed and totally inadequate for an even reasonably correct count. I guess it was good enough for government work.

11. Valerie LaHart says:

If you receive mail at a PO box, the Post Office folks have verified your physical address. In our small communities, the Post Office folks KNOW where you live and can and will deliver mail even without a physical box. So far, I have talked to several who have NEVER had the opportunity to fill out a form (we are among those several) so don’t tout how everyone counts. 2000 we received a form in our mailbox, filled it out and returned all via the local Post Office.
    2010 census is a big joke and sham. What a SHAME that people don’t actually count in this year’s census.

12. greco says:

Mr. Groves, vacant/delete check isn’t going to be what you described. PBOCS has spit out a workload that isn’t even half of the vacant+delete number from NRFU, and instead of asking why management is thinking about closing offices by Labor Day. (Is it true that you pay bonuses to the RCC if a region comes in under budget and ahead of schedule? Are there any bonuses for being accurate?)
    Why aren’t they going to all the addresses?

13. @Valerie – Thanks for your comment. People can call our telephone assistance line at 866-872-6868 to ensure their household is counted.
    In addition, we are visiting houses recently added to our address list in our current Quality Assurance operations – so households may still be visited by an enumerator.

14. george says:

I filled out the forms and returned them promptly. For my promptness I have been rewarded with an unending stream of follow up census people sent out to verify what was on the forms. In my opinion, this years census has evolved into a giant scam to keep the government checks flowing to the census offices. The latest one to arrive pulled up in a new Mercedes this morning.I asked for her supervisors phone number and called her at about 11:00 am. When her supervisor answered the phone she stated that she was on her way to work (at 11AM) The location is Inglewood California Zip 90302. I would like to suggest that there is substantial cause to suspect ripping off the taxpayers, or at the very least gross incompetancein this census office. They appear to be doing invented work to keep the checks coming.

15. Lisa says:

Yes…we have the same harassment going on. We filled out and mailed in the forms, then people came to our house and required us to fill them out again, and now they call (three times just today!) repeatedly barking federal regulation numbers and threats about not participating. I have spent more than a couple hours doing this and I am done. Today, after the guy got pretty rude telling me about how I was violating some federal statute (untrue since I complied timely with both surveys), I told him to come and arrest me but stop calling me. They called back within 1 hour, sadly. This is our tax dollars being so incredibly wasted. If our crime fighters spent as much time and effort as these rabid census takers hunting people down, we could all sleep easier at night. I have never been harassed like this in my life. Monday first thing, I am calling my local representative to complain and have my name removed from their list of people to barage with these follow-up calls.

16. Headless Chicken says:

NRFU VDC is a being done at a rush in our area just like NRFU was. It is aggravating to constantly be told by our crew leader that accuracy is the most important thing that we are doing. Then when we report an inaccuracy, like the HU is listed in the wrong block, then we are told to ignor it.
    Also we are checking HU’s that may have been missed??? All I’ve seen is revisit to HU’s that mailed form, some of which were already visited in NRFU.
    Now, just like NRFU we are at 80%, so we have to finish in two days. Not enough time for accuracy or quality.

17. Sick of Census Taker Deadbeats hanging around says:

My mother filled out the form immediately too and they have come back around claiming they didn’t get the form. She mailed at the post office.
    I have seen this same comment all over the internet.
    They wait in a place until they see someone then just start asking questions like some kind of cop and their standard line is “We didn’t get your form”
    Cut the baloney and stop treating people like they are stupid!

18. Sick of Census Taker Deadbeats hanging around says:

I have seen this same comment all over the internet.
    Cut the baloney and stop treating people like they are stupid!

19. Sick of Census Taker Deadbeats hanging around says:

I have seen this same comment all over the internet.
    Cut the baloney and stop treating people like they are stupid!

20. pk says:

I filled out the form and mailed it back the next day. I answered only the first two required questions. A woman knocked on my door today and said some people’s forms weren’t read properly or they got mangled in the reader (yeah, right). So she proceeds to ask me the questions I hadn’t answered on the form. I told her I already answered the necessary questions. Then she probed further, “Any hispanics in your household?” Ma’am, I already answered what I needed to. She was very nice, and understood and said she was getting a lot of people who were more than just annoyed. This is such a waste of taxpayer money. I don’t buy it that my form was mangled. They just want more information that they aren’t getting from me!

21. John Galt says:

We mailed our Census form the 1st week of April with questions 1&2 filled in (the constitutionally required “enumeration” questions) and now I have a census person banging on my door and ringing my doorbell (3rd visit)…this last time was at 8:30pm on a Sunday and she stood out here for >10 minutes knocking/ringing!! Next time that happens I am calling the PD! How many more “visits” can I expect?? Or do the phone calls start now?!?
    If she shows up a few more times I may “throw her a bone”, open the door and give her a “bonus” answer of “1 man & 1 woman”!
    —A Concerned Citizen

22. irritated and have better things to do says:

I didn’t fill out the form as I was traveling at the time it came. They came to my door and took the information….now I’ve had several calls saying they are the US Census Bureau, but I’m not giving out any information over the phone!! Sorry folks, if your people weren’t reliable to take the information in the first place, I’m not giving to a second set of fools. Count me out.

23. @irritated We are currently following up with a small number of households to clarify answers about the number of people living at an address, based on answers they provided on the form.
    Please, if you are one of the small percent of homes visited during our quality assurance process for re-interview or verification, take a few minutes to help us ensure the quality of the 2010 Census.
    We are charged with counting everyone, once, and only once, and in the right place. We check and double check to make sure we get it right.
    Learn more: http://blogs.census.gov/2010census/2010/06/quality-assurance-and-the-2010-census.html

24. Andrea says:

On the Census Jobs Website, there are posted job descriptions for former census employees to use in applying to future jobs. Descriptions cover even stock clerk, of which there is generally one per office, but there is not a listing for QA clerks or OOS’s, whose jobs and responsibilities do vary from Production.
    These descriptions are useful as former staff search for new job opportunities. Our people have asked — Could you possibly post a description specific to the job of the quality control clerks and supervisors?
    It would be much appreciated.

25. Shahryar says:

I believe Ravi is just saying that he enjoyed and learned much from his work with the 2010 Census. He’s wondering if there is a place where he can contribute ideas to improve the next Census.

26. California says:

Apparently my area didn’t do such a good job. I don’t remember receiving a census form. No one in my household completed one or turned it in. I have not received a visit or a phone call, and it’s now October.
    I’ve lived in my home for over 9 years, so it’s not like I just moved. I’m wondering how accurate the census could really be. How many other people didn’t get counted?