Save The Taxpayer Money

Do your part to save the taxpayer money! For every 1 percent increase in the national participation rate by mail, the Census Bureau can save taxpayers $85 million by not having to send census takers door to door. If every household in the United States completed and mailed back their census form, taxpayers could reduce the cost of the census by $1.5 billion.

This entry was posted in Countdown. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Save The Taxpayer Money

1. Tim says:

About two weeks after mailing my census form, I received another one. I am not sure which is worse: not mailing in the second one and receiving a visit from a census taker or mailing it in and getting in trouble for sending in two forms. I called the census help line, and the phone rep was unfortunately unable to say anything other than read pre-prepared statements. The only advice he could give me was to do whatever made me feel most comfortable. I’d feel more comfortable if I could have gotten a definitive answer from him. I ended up mailing it in, for it’s my understanding that additional forms from the same househould will be ignored. I hope so.
    I’m probably one of the few who wish the form had asked *more* questions. The 10 ho-hum questions will not produce interesting reports. Household employment information, educational attainment, access to goods and services (such as the Internet or potable water), and other similar questions would be far more useful, I’d think.
    One last thing: I’m confused about why many are reluctant to provide basic information such as age, birthdate, and telephone number. I’d think most government agencies would easily be able to access that sort of information if they desired. For example, the DMV and the IRS already know a lot more about me than the folks at the census.

2. DP says:

Tim,
    AMEN! The IRS has WAY more information and people are hooping and hollering about sending in how many people live in their households. They aren’t yelling when they claim those people on their taxes though. Those are the people that gripe about government spending but yet they are the ones causing MORE government spending by the Census having to send an enumerator out to their homes to try and get answers. They like to post comments and complain yet they are going to be a doing a huge disservice to the whole country by causing unnecessary spending.

That is my argument Tim! The various government agencies already know much more than what the Census is asking. Then why spend Billions asking what they already know?

Ah! What’s $57 when you guys spend billions on this crap! I don’t care if it cost a $1000 to send to my house! Your still going to get the door slammed in your face!

5. I wish the Census would fine for people that refuse to fill out their forms. If you don’t want to live here and abide by the Constitution and our laws, then please, depart the country.

6. Burrell cayton says:

Why wasn’t form sent to P.O.Boxs’? That is the only way we get our mail. There are millions of po boxs’. We are told how important it is to be counted, that sounds kind of stupid not to send to everyone that has an address. We are taxpayers and should have been sent the forms. No one came to our house. Another smart Gov. move.

7. Ralu says:

I was very disappointed when I received the census. A waste of money. You wait 10 years to do compile important statistics for the country and then you ask only about age,race, number of people in household and if they rent or own. Unbelievable how much money was wasted,plus I received two of them. I expected questions about origin,education ,religion, income,hobbies,etc. I do not see how these questions will help ” to move forward” the way the ad said.
    Tax money wasted!!!

8. Burrell,
    We don’t send census forms to P.O. boxes. The census is all about counting people where they live and sleep, so we must tie each form to a physical location. P.O. boxes are not tied to specific housing units, so we can’t use them to send the forms to specific housing units. One of our census workers will visit houses that rely on P.O. boxes between May 1 and July 10.

9. Ralu,
    To read more about the form and why we ask each question please visit: http://2010.census.gov/2010census/how/interactive-form.php
    Also we now collect long form data in a yearly survey called the American Community Survey. For more information: http://www.census.gov/acs/www/
    We do not collection information on Religion.

10. Kevin says:

I been in US for 30 years,live and pay tax at the same address and never see the forms and I call to ask why never received and they can’t answers.

11. caorozcoh@yahoo.com says:

Why is the government wasting so much money in advertising saying they need more census takers anyway? it is a waste of money and time for everybody. I just found out I am ineligible because I have a relative working already with the census? I wish someone had told me before I wasted my time (about 2 hours) taking that test. I thought I could help the Census since I know my city pretty good and of course I could use some extra cash. I am bilingual and have experience in management, but I took me a month after I TOOK THIS TEST AND SEVERAL PHONE CALLS to find out about it. By the way, those people answering the phones just don’t have the customer service someone would expect. One person promised to call back with an answer on my status, a call that never came. Another person said I could call another number to find out, and he refused to give me his name (I asked so i could follow up later). I am just trying to say those people answering phones should be knocking on doors too or get some good training on helping people to get some straight answers.

The Census Bureau has several other surveys it collects data for too, ACS is the longer and is issued monthly – has more demographic questions, CPS the current population survey collects employment info etc
    As a team leader please cooperate with field staff, please check there ID’s and call the Regional Office to check, never give out your SS# NEVER EVER nor does the census surveys ask.
    Remember instead of refusing you can always use a alais name – decesions makers need data not your names

13. Jan says:

This must be the year of CENSUS HARASSMENT. Every since we have mailed in our form, we have continually received calls, which the caller ID identifies as the Census Bureau. We have answered all applicable questions, however, have not answered questions asked about our income and social security number (which is on the not permitted questions list).
    Save Taxpayer money you say? Just this past Saturday we received 5 calls. Each time the caller apologized saying, the information wasn’t updated because the system was down and is still down. Then there were calls on Sunday. I am about to turn the ringer off on my phone so I can have a little peace and quiet. The calls just don’t stop. I have spoken with a Supervisor who basically said “We are the Federal Government” and can do as we please. For every time someone repeats the call cost time, money, and manpower.
    Save taxpayer money and get a system that works and staff that don’t harass.

14. Jan,
    The Census Bureau never asks for your social security number.

15. Stacy says:

I’d like to know why I bothered to fill out the census form. I received 2 at my address, on the same day. Filled one out, sent in the second one and wrote “duplicate”. So a census worker showed up. I told her that I had filled one out. She stated that I had been “chosen” to complete a second one. I told her I did not want to, but she persisted. Then informed me that a second person would probably be by to make sure it was done. What??? With my tax payer money in this economy???? We are seriously screwed if we keep wasting money. In this day and age, why can’t we do this all online, like our taxes. Then maybe they wouldn’t screw up and make us do things 2-3 times.

16. Stacey, Thank you for participating in the 2010 Census. The follow-up visit was a quality assurance interview. The Census Bureau needs to ensure that the data collected is correct. Not every residence will receive a quality assurance interview.