One of the most consistent findings in survey research is that mailing to nonrespondent cases a second questionnaire leads to higher response rates.

The vast majority of people who do not return a completed questionnaire after a couple of weeks have not decided to refrain from returning it. Most lead busy lives with many other obligations and have set aside the questionnaire to finish later.

The mailing of a second questionnaire is a polite way to remind them that they have indeed failed to do something they intended to do. Fairly quick responses generally result.

As I’ve noted in public several times, the 2010 Census must count everyone by law. If the completed form is not returned by mail, we will have to send a trained census taker out to visit the household. This costs money that we’d like to avoid spending ($57 per household instead of the $0.42 for return mailing).

Hence, starting this week, for areas of the country that have traditionally returned the mailed form at lower rates, we will mail a replacement questionnaire. In other areas, we will not do so.

To have a replacement form for a census requires a very large printing capacity, both for the forms and the labeling. For that reason, in some areas, we will mail a replacement form to every address, whether they returned a form or not (we printed these several weeks ago and have them ready to deliver). For other areas, we will mail a replacement form only to those from whom we have not yet received a completed form. (This set required a lot of coordination with printers and just-in-time printing of labels.)

If you receive a replacement form and have already returned a completed form, please discard the form. If not, here’s an easy way to complete the census without having to search around the house for what happened to the first one.

This entry was posted in 2010 Census. Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to Replacement Forms Are Coming! Another Attempt to Reduce The Costs of Visits to Households by Census Takers

1. CWal says:

Here’s a way to reduce the cost of sending out census takers…mail a census form to every address serviced by the USPS. One mass mailing on one day to every postal address in the US. None of my neighbors nor I have received a form (or any other mailings), none of my mother-in-law’s neighbors (although my mother-in-law has), neither of my daughters nor their neighbors have received forms. Or are you not counting people in Alabama or Georgia this decade?

2. wife and mother says:

What purpose does it serve to send another form? You will only send an enumerator out anyway. In 1990, we filled out our form and mailed it back and we still had knocks on the door. So please do not insult our intelligence by stating that if we receive a knock on the door it is somehow our fault for not returning the form.

3. Can we fill out the census form online?

4. Clarence,
    The form is not available online. Please see the director’s blog on this topic: http://blogs.census.gov/2010census/census-and-internet/

5. Wife and mother,
    Research has shown that mailing out a replacement form increases responses. We have also received many calls from many households that have misplaced their form and the replacement questionnaire serves as an immediate fix to this problem. Because of this the replacement questionnaire decreases the amount of homes that will have to receive a follow-up visit. However, the 2010 Census is large operation and we have processes in place to make the sure the data we collect is accurate, so some households that do return their form may still receive a visit. Again, this mailing helps to decrease the amount of visits we have to conduct.

6. Joe Williams says:

Why is it do you suppose that when I inquired about the census data collection method in Key West, Florida is executed using field workers rather than mailed forms no one has an answer? I asked the fieldworker, the group leader and the manager of the Homestead office. No one seems to know why.
    The manager of the Homestead office was the least helpful and disingenuous of what seems to be a culture of no, a caricature of the typical “bad government” employee. I asked him if he could tell me why Key West had been singled out for ‘special treatment’. His answer it was ordered by the Census Bureau. He said it with the temerity of someone who knows he need not be accountable to us common citizens; after all, unlike regular citizens he has absolute job security. It was clear that Mr. Felix, (he nor his staff would not give his last name) would not divulge any of his top secret Census Bureau information. When I asked for the number of the Inspector General’s office he immediately said he was no longer talking to me. Mr. Felix immediate put me on hold and one of his staff picked up the phone. I asked her for her name to which she replied that she would not. I asked again and she hung up the phone but not before shouting “do not call here again”.
    Several of the news reports on the Census site bemoan the below average response of various areas. Perhaps the slow response is due to the apparent absence of customer service of Census Bureau employees and supervisors.
    Come to think of it, when I caught up with Mr. Felix on Friday and indicated that I had called and left messages on Thursday, Mr. Felix indicated that he was in Key West on Thursday. I thought it strange in as much as during my call on Thursday afternoon, the receptionist indicated that he was out to lunch and would be back soon. I wonder if Mr. Felix receives a generous per-diem when he is out of town?
    If this office is representative of the average Census Bureau office I would surmise that the Census Bureau is corrupt, inept and ethically challenged.
    Sincerely,
    Joe Williams

7. If you didn’t receive a form, do you still have to wait until April 12th to call? None of the apartments that are over businesses in our city received a form.

8. S. Baker says:

Or rural Pennsylvania, apparently.

9. S. Baker says:

Ok…Am I reading this right? You’re spending money to mail out forms to households that have already retuned forms? Why does that sound like a massive waste of time and money?
    I never got one at all. This seems really weird since we have an address. Granted, we don’t have local delivery, but we were assigned a “free” PO box at the local Post Office.
    So, is it because my USPS address is a PO box?
    I could understand that, since in larger areas PO Boxes aren’t assigned, they’re rented to those who have a traditional USPS mailing address. But here in this little hamlet..we don’t. Shouldn’t that be accounted for and forms sent anyway?
    I hate the idea that my household hasn’t been counted at all.

10. Jack & Mary Anne says:

We have not received our census form even though we have lived at this same address since 1994. I followed your phone procedure and called one number listed on the website and was referred to another number which I called. The recording wanted our census number that is on the form we didn’t receive. It also stated not to call back unitl after 4/12. Help!!!

11. Jack & Mary Anne says:

12. Jack & Mary Anne says:

13. fred says:

A friend of mine lost/misplaced their census form and would like to know how to get a new one.

14. Lowell D. Corbin says:

I live in Lake County, Michigan and there are several unoccupied house trailers in my area that have census forms hanging from the door handles.
    Also, although the cover letter dated March 1, 2010 said to mail in the form “Today,” the form itself asks who lives in the house on April 1st. At age 75 I didn’t want to fill it out in advance — I may not be here on April 1st.

15. Jack & Mary Anne says:

Same address since 1994. No census form received as yet.

16. Jack & Mary Anne says:

Same address since 1994. No census form received as yet.

17. Jack & Mary Anne says:

Same address since 1994. No census form received as yet.

18. CWeat says:

I guess we’ll wait for the replacement form. We didn’t receive the census form in the first mailing. Hopefully, the USPS will get the next one to us. We do receive mail at our home address and we’d like for our household to be counted.
    When should we expect this new form? If we don’t get the form, how do we get it?

19. P. Hirsch says:

I will fill the Census form out on April 1st so that only people living on that date are counted.

20. Jack & Mary Anne, The Census Bureau will be sending out replacement questionnaires. If you have not received a replacement questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the call center. 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message.
    Also you can pick up a form at one of our be counted sites. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/

21. Fred, The Census Bureau will be sending out replacement questionnaires. If you have not received a replacement questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the call center. 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message. Also you can pick up a form at one of our Be Counted sites. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/

22. Mark says:

Could you just add this information to the phone tree message. When it says “Since you do not have your Census ID we are unable to fulfill your request at this time” add “However, a replacement form for those who have lost or misplaced the original will be sent out the week of April 12th. If you find your form prior to that date just send it in.”
    Thanks I think this would alleviate a lot of stress

23. Stock says:

Question – since this data will be used to assist in funding issues, might someone questions the results based on the fact that the data is suppose to be as of April 1st and people are mailing in their forms prior to that date. It probably won’t change most people’s answers but technically can you consider the data valid if it is mail before April 1. I noticed that Illinois had already received almost 50% of their responses. Maybe all census’ are run this way – I just don’t know but if not this issue of dates could turn out to be a problem.

24. Silvester Cannone says:

Your census approach is a joke. No one in my building in NYC received any forms. Yet there is no one you can speak to directly by phone nor get a form online. What kind of customer service or outreach do you have?
    When you try to order one online they ask you for a census number. Well if you haven’t received one you are out of luck. I thought that the big issue in the census was about contacting people who have not been responding or did not get a form. How foolish is this?
    Then the website tells you that you won’t need a census number after the 12th. Why not shorten the process by allowing individuals before the 12th to get a form? You are wasting tax payers money.
    I am flabergasted that you have not used voting records, motor vehicle records or even tax payers records as a way of getting the forms to people.
    Is this part of a plan to undercount cities particularly in the non-sunbelt to support an agenda? How can you miss whole buildings of multi-residential dwellings?
    Not loving the census….

25. Denise T says:

We never rec’d the Census form. I asked other people in my community and rec’d same answer.

26. Kathleen Covington says:

I received my census form on 3/15/10. Filled it out and returned it on 3/16/10. I received a post card reminding me to return the censur form. I ignored it because I knew I had already return the originnal form. Now, today, 3/30/10 I receive yet another census form to be filled out. Didn’t the Census Bureau receive the initial form I return via US mail? I am not going to fill out another census form. This is double dipping.

27. CWeat, The Census Bureau will be sending out replacement questionnaires. If you have not received a replacement questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the call center. 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message.

28. hlkjhlkjg says:

We recieved one in Jan 2010 with the correct town and zip ….we recieved another one in march with the wrong town name but the correct zip … Tried calling … no real answer … returned to sender it was send back … put back in mail box … got back … trash … they need to make sure they have real addresses

29. Mrs.Bedell says:

I have yet to see the first form

30. John Britton says:

Why did we not get a census form to complete? We have lived in the same house for three years. The county tax collector knows where we live. Also my wife and I worked for the US Census Bureau in March of 2009 and received mail from the Census Bureau. I am still getting phone calls from the US Census bureau to work for them. So the US Census Bureau knows where I live. But we did not get a form to complete. WHY?

31. CWal says:

We get the point.
    The census employees robots who can only say the same thing, over and over. My original question has not been answered. Why were mass areas not sent forms initially? Presumably if we did not receive the initial mailings, we will not receive the follow ups. If we never received a form how will field workers know to find us.
    I tried to go to the nearest ‘be counted’ location to get a form, but it is in the middle of a cow pasture, with no houses around.

32. Josh Wiese says:

Director Groves -
    While a second targeting mailing is good in theory it has caught a number of us cities off guard mainly because we needed the following information:
    1. What was the cutoff date that determines the mailout universe?
    2. What is the definition of “historically mid-range” census tracts that received the second mailing?
    3. How can we assure residents that there form was not lost/destroyed/misplaced?
    A second mailing gives the impression that you are receiving it because the Bureau never received it in the first place. Our suggestion for 2020. Set the cutoff date publicly, mailout to historically HTC tracts, and go out and help people fill out the form and skip the coffee mugs

33. lb of michigan says:

I was appalled today when I tried to get another copy of the census questionare because the first one was destroyed in the rain and did not know the codes on the form. I informed the represantive and his supervisor that the questionaire was destroyed and I would provide them with all the answers necessary for a replacement in order to eliminate the extra cost of extra mailings and the physical visit of a census official. The response from the representative/assistance was the repetition of the questions on the questionare (even a robot would have been more helpful) and when I asked for the supervisor, the supervisor continued with the same ridiculous responses by reading the questions to me. When I requested to speak to someone above the supervisor or get a name or a phone number in order to resolve the replacement of the questionaire, I was rudely told that he could not help me and actually hung up on me. I will try and reach the director and let him know that the current process wastes a lot of our hard earned money.

34. lb of Michigan says:

Census Bureau,
    Please tell me you are not paying a representative or his supervisor at the 1 866 872 6868 help line, because that is a useless, time consuming effort. Their job can be performed by recorded information and the caller will not be as offended by the machine.

35. N. Rhodes says:

I live in New Hampshire and receive my mail at the post office. I received the notice to watch my post office box in the coming weeks for my census form. I waited for 2 weeks-no form. I then talked to my postmaster who told me “you get your mail in a post office box,you will not get a form in the mail”. If that is the case, why the heck did you send me a notice to watch for the form? Now you tell me to wait until April 12th for the replacement form. How is that coming if the post office would not deliver the first one?
    Now I have to take time off from work to find one of your assistance centers and go from there. I would gladly mail a form back if you would send me one. This certainly doesn’t sound like a way to save money if you have to send a census taker out to the millions of households who have a post office box.

36. Mary Duke says:

I totally agree with you. Same here, received, filled out, and mailed back, today we get another as a reminder? A terrible waste of money as far as I am concerned. Of course we all know who pays for the waste, right?

37. Donna Follin says:

I do genealogy,so I understand how important the census is not just for city/state/country planning and finances,but for historical reason’s.Therefore I will always fill out the census and encourage to do so.I was a door to door census taker last time the census was taken.Because we are on social security due to my husbands death over 5 years ago and prices going up we have been living in a so called low priced hotel.We have been here a year and my uncle that lives nearby got his census form,but I hadn’t.Knowing how important it was I followed thru to get one.I checked with the hotel manager to find that no one here got one here.The next morning I called the census office for our state and was told that I was not to worry,that a bundle of them was coming to each hotel.I waited for a week and we never received our form.I called back and was told that I had to go to a center and pick one up.I gave him my zip code and he said that the nearest place to go was in the next town over.I explained to him that I did not have a car and could he please mail me one.He said that the only way that he could mail me one was if I had got the priliminary card with a number on it.Why, send them out……waste of money!I told him I had not got one and he said I had to find a way to go get one,it was the law to fill them out.I can see it being the law,but we need to get the forms.A few days later when the rain finally stopped I called back and found out that there were 3 places in my town to pick up a form.I walked a mile to get a form and back.Bye this time my foot was hurting due to the long walk on a disabled foot and I was able to get a ride to the post office to mail it yesterday.

38. JHK says:

Can I ask why the phone lines are automated until April 12? US Census Day is today. I work with the local Chamber of Commerce and we are a supposed to be a US Census Partner. But I haven’t even received my own Census form. I understand the replacement form concept, but for those of us who have not received an initial form, I highly doubt we will be receiving the replacement form. I have been promoting to others in our community to complete their form, but I do not know how to answer their questions when they ask how can they get their initial form? I tried to use the web page to locate our assistance center and all it shows is a bubble in the middle of the river, no contact name, address or phone number. We are a county seat community – City Hall, the chamber nor the library knows where to find forms or how to help our constituents. I just want to talk to a real person when I call the U.S. Census Bureau- and I don’t want to wait 2 weeks to do it.

39. Lee Price says:

Amazing! I filled out the form sent it back and now received another one today. Makes you wonder if their calculations will be right (duhhhhh)I’m not filling out another one.

40. K Albowicz /D Soule says:

I also returned our completed form the first day and got a second one today? how can we depend on the Census to protect our data if they can’t accurately keep track of which ones were returned?

41. Mrs.Price says:

i havent seen the first form myself…

42. Mrs.Price says:

we havent seen the first form

43. AP says:

I have yet to receive a form. Cannot fill one out if I do not receive one.

44. Dean Look says:

I will gladly fill out the questionaire.
    How about sending me the RIGHT questionaire with my RIGHT address?
    I have been to the post office and to townhall and asked if I could change the address on the one I got. The answer was NO, on all counts.
    Do you want me counted or not?

45. Lee Brown says:

Like many others, I have yet to see a census form in the mail. As a matter of fact, I dont recall seeing one or talking to anyone in either of the past two censuses.

46. Jeff Boyer says:

Jeff Boyer-
    I think I know where they are mailing all the missing census forms. I have gotten 2 and a warning message that another is on the way. That probably is because my neighborhood is 4 hispanic families, 4 black, 3 white, and 1 asian. And yes, they have all been mailed back. Then again, with all the overcounting, we might wind up with a few more representatives which might be a good thing.

47. Jeff, It is possible that we have an unrecognized duplicate in our master address file that has caused you to receive a duplicate form. As part of the census process, we look for these situations and ensure we eventually delete the duplicate record. It is also possible, though we had quality control procedures on all the printing and labeling efforts, that the vendor accidentally printed two forms for the same address. Unfortunately, no quality control process can ensure zero errors. Thank you for filling out the form for the address you normally use for your mail, and mailing it back. You can discard the second form. Because we have to account for each form we mail out, a census taker might come to your home between May and July to find out why the second form was not mailed back. At that time you can tell the census taker that you received two forms and were told to mail one back and discard the other one. We apologize for any inconvenience if that happens.

48. Lee, The Census Bureau is still in the process of sending out 2010 Census questionnaires. If you have not received a questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Center at 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message. If you call after April 12th, someone will be able to help you. Also you can pick up a form at one of our Be Counted sites. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/ Be counted sites are not private homes, but libraries, churches, town halls, local business etc. Be Counted forms are available for anyone who did not receive a 2010 Census form or believes that they were missed on their household’s form.

49. Dean, If you received a census form at your home, your return will be counted in the jurisdiction where your home is physically located. The 2010 Census mail-out is the largest single delivery ever undertaken by the United States – over 120 million forms were recently mailed. To streamline delivery in a mailing this large, mailing addresses in a particular ZIP code sometimes were all labeled using a single city name that is valid for the ZIP code, even though some people in that area usually receive mail addressed to a different city name. This is not a problem because for many addresses there are multiple city names that are perfectly acceptable for accurate delivery. It will NOT affect which city, town or block your household’s responses will be assigned to when we tabulate census results. The actual physical location of your address has been verified for accuracy. The 20-digit identification number on your form links back to our master address and geographic files where we store the information about the correct geographic location to which your housing unit belongs. This geographic information was verified last year by census workers who physically located each housing unit on the ground and assigned the housing units a “geocode” using special census maps and GPS coordinates. If you received a form at your address, you’re fine. We ask that you please fill it out and mail it back, just as it is. (Please don’t cross out the bar code or the address). We will place your return with the right area. If you got the form, we have coded your house to the right geography. Your actual city will receive the credit for your responses, regardless of what the mailing label says.

50. AP, The Census Bureau is still in the process of sending out 2010 Census questionnaires. If you have not received a questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Center at 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message. If you call after April 12th, someone will be able to help you. Also you can pick up a form at one of our Be Counted sites. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/ Be counted sites are not private homes, but libraries, churches, town halls, local business etc. Be Counted forms are available for anyone who did not receive a 2010 Census form or believes that they were missed on their household’s form.

51. Mrs. Price, The Census Bureau is still in the process of sending out 2010 Census questionnaires. If you have not received a questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Center at 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message. If you call after April 12th, someone will be able to help you. Also you can pick up a form at one of our Be Counted sites. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/ Be counted sites are not private homes, but libraries, churches, town halls, local business etc. Be Counted forms are available for anyone who did not receive a 2010 Census form or believes that they were missed on their household’s form.

52. Lee, It is possible that we have an unrecognized duplicate in our master address file that has caused you to receive a duplicate form. As part of the census process, we look for these situations and ensure we eventually delete the duplicate record. It is also possible, though we had quality control procedures on all the printing and labeling efforts, that the vendor accidentally printed two forms for the same address. Unfortunately, no quality control process can ensure zero errors. Thank you for filling out the form for the address you normally use for your mail, and mailing it back. You can discard the second form. Because we have to account for each form we mail out, a census taker might come to your home between May and July to find out why the second form was not mailed back. At that time you can tell the census taker that you received two forms and were told to mail one back and discard the other one.

53. JHK, You can contact your regional office for assistance in locating a Questionnaire Assistance Center and/or Be Counted site.

54. Stock, Here’s the logic we’ve used. We know that folks who receive the form and act on it immediately avoid the natural tendency to put it aside on a desk or table and then forget about it completely.
    Second, we know that the vast majority of households are pretty stable in their composition. The people who are in the household on March 15, for example, are the same people who will be there on April 1; no one will move into the home in the two week period. Hence, responding early gives us an accurate picture of the household on April 1. Thus, we have a general message to fill it out and mail it back when you receive it.
    The exceptions to the rule are clearly those households experiencing change. If you know you’re moving to a new house, don’t fill it out before April 1. If you expect new household members by April 1, don’t fill it out before April 1. If you expect any other changes in who lives at your home, wait until April 1 to fill it out.

55. John Britton, The Census Bureau will be sending out 2010 questionnaires. If you have not received a questionnaire by April 12th, please contact the Telephone Questionnaire Assistance Center at 1-866-872-6868, but please note until April 12th, it is automated message. If you call after April 12th, someone will be able to help you. Also you can pick up a form at one of our Be Counted sites. http://2010.census.gov/2010census/take10map/ Be counted sites are not private homes, but libraries, churches, town halls, local business etc. Be Counted forms are available for anyone who did not receive a 2010 Census form or believes that they were missed on their household’s form.

56. hlkjhlkjg, If you received a census form at your home, your return will be counted in the jurisdiction where your home is physically located. The 2010 Census mail-out is the largest single delivery ever undertaken by the United States – over 120 million forms were mailed this week. To streamline delivery in a mailing this large, mailing addresses in a particular ZIP code sometimes were all labeled using a single city name that is valid for the ZIP code, even though some people in that area usually receive mail addressed to a different city name. This is not a problem because for many addresses there are multiple city names that are perfectly acceptable for accurate delivery. It will NOT affect which city, town or block your household’s responses will be assigned to when we tabulate census results. The actual physical location of your address has been verified for accuracy. The 20-digit identification number on your form links back to our master address and geographic files where we store the information about the correct geographic location to which your housing unit belongs. This geographic information was verified last year by census workers who physically located each housing unit on the ground and assigned the housing units a “geocode” using special census maps and GPS coordinates. If you received a form at your address, you’re fine. We ask that you please fill it out and mail it back, just as it is. (Please don’t cross out the bar code or the address). We will place your return with the right area. If you got the form, we have coded your house to the right geography. Your actual city will receive the credit for your responses, regardless of what the mailing label says. Should you receive another form please fill it out and send it back.

57. Kathleen, It is possible that we have an unrecognized duplicate in our master address file that has caused you to receive a duplicate form. As part of the census process, we look for these situations and ensure we eventually delete the duplicate record. It is also possible, though we had quality control procedures on all the printing and labeling efforts, that the vendor accidentally printed two forms for the same address. Unfortunately, no quality control process can ensure zero errors. Thank you for filling out and sending back your 2010 Census questionnaire. You can discard the second form. Because we have to account for each form we mail out, a census taker might come to your home between May and July to find out why the second form was not mailed back. At that time you can tell the census taker that you received two forms and were told to mail one back and discard the other one. The Census Bureau has measures in place to ensure that you are counted once.

58. Regina O'Neill says:

I HAVE MISPLACED MY CENSUS FORM AND WANT TO KNOW HOW TO ENSURE THAT I GET ANOTHER ONE!! WANT TO FILL IT OUT BUT CANNOT FIND IT. pLEASE HELP

59. TLS says:

I filled my form out and immediately mailed it back a few weeks ago and yesterday, April 1st, I received another form in the mail. What’s up with that? There’s got to be a list of households that have already returned them.
    If you’re trying to make sure you have accurate numbers, I don’t think sending multiple forms to people that have already completed them is the thing to do. Now I’m wondering if my original form was indeed received by your office. Is there a way to confirm that it was received?

60. Ken Kresser says:

In my town all of us have PO Boxes and the Post Office said that they returned all the Census mail at your request because you need not want them to go to the PO Box even if the Post Office knows the PO Box and Address of the person.
    If you want to cut the cost of sending someone to the house, then it’s a bad idea you made.

61. TLS, It is possible that we have an unrecognized duplicate in our master address file that has caused you to receive a duplicate form. As part of the census process, we look for these situations and ensure we eventually delete the duplicate record. It is also possible, though we had quality control procedures on all the printing and labeling efforts, that the vendor accidentally printed two forms for the same address. Unfortunately, no quality control process can ensure zero errors. Thank you for filling out and sending back your 2010 Census questionnaire. You can discard the second form. Because we have to account for each form we mail out, a census taker might come to your home between May and July to find out why the second form was not mailed back. At that time you can tell the census taker that you received two forms and were told to mail one back and discard the other one.

62. CMH says:

Add southeast Oklahoma!

63. s. Jones says:

what do you do if you have already sent in your form, and have received numerous forms. a neighbor sent his form in the same day he received it as did I, but we are still receiving another census form today.

64. Tarah says:

I have not received a census form in Georgia either. I have asked several times on the facebook page about it, but never receive a response, although other people receive responses. I don’t understand why I have not received a form. I have not received a first or a second one or any other mailings from the census bureau. I have even asked if there is a place in my area where I can pick up my own form, but have not received a response. I have actually spent hours trying to find any of this information out and have yet to receive any type of response. So I guess I will just have to wait for my knock on the door, unless they pass me up for that too. I am not devoting any more hours of my life to beg for a census form.

65. Tarah says:

Yep, I am in Georgia too. How is it determined who gets a form? I have USPS service and figured that for that reason I would receive mine. But I haven’t received anything. No wonder my ancestors never appeared on the census. They had jobs and didn’t have time to beg for a form.

66. M. says:

This explains how forms are delivered to homes (like where I live!) that have free PO boxes instead of street delivery:

67. Jo Ann & Co. says:

What if we don’t want to fill out our names and phone numbers? Can we return the census forms and leave those boxes blank?

68. Jo Ann & Co. says:

69. Jo Ann & Co. says:

70. Tarah says:

We did not receive a form either and we have USPS service at our home.

71. Jo Ann & Co.,
    All answers are required by law.

72. Dennis Goldner says:

I received my first form in mid March, 2010, two weeks before I could HONESTLY answer the questions. (I did not KNOW the answers until April 1, 2010 because it was still two weeks into the FUTURE at the time.) I answered all questions and put the form into the mailbox for the mailman to pick up ON April 1, 2010. When picking up the mail after he left, I found a SECOND form, identical to the first. Why did you bother to send the first one? You spent TWICE the taxpayer money on this project than was necessary? Come on, government, hire some people to create your forms that don’t ask questions based on the future. Dumb! Really Stupid!!

73. Jo Ann & Co says:

Could you tell me where I can find this law, please? Thank you so much.

74. Jo Ann & Co says:

Could you tell me where I can find this law, please? Thank you so much.

75. Jo Ann & Co says:

Could you tell me where I can find this law, please? Thank you so much.

76. Robert- Gurnee says:

April 12 still did not receive form. Cannot figure out how to get one either. Phone ROBO service needs Census ID # to order replacement forms. It’s too bad I can’t save the bureau money by sending someone out, but the bureau is not interested in send me forms.

77. Robert,
    Simply say I don’t have a form id when the automated system prompts you– you can then request one sent to your house.

78. Karen says:

The second forms were sent out before April 1st. Perhaps you should have given people a chance to complete it by census day. You also should have explained on the second form that some places were sent 2nd forms as a matter of practice. We had no way of knowing if you already got our form, or if we needed to complete and mail it again.
    You are making more work for yourself, because when people get a 2nd notice, they will send it in again to avoid being visited.

79. LeRoy says:

Just received form, with right address, wrong town, wrong zip code, making me fall into another county. It is a rual area, and likely my name was recognized from the Post Office service our little area. I do not want to return as likely the wrong county will “get credit” for my family, and not the smaller county needing those increased numbers. Unfortunatley, the bar coding contains all the wrong data, so any changes I attempt to make to correct this information will be not be made. I do reside in Tennessee, however, I think many rural areas are affected as well. What a nightmare they have created!

80. LeRoy,
    If you receive your form at the right address then you will be coded at the right address. The address on the form will not always match the address of your home. See the director’s blog on this topic:

81. n1vaughan@yahoo.com says:

I misplaced my form how can I get another?

82. n1vaughan, Please contact 1-866-872-6868.

83. a says:

This is such a waste of time, money, and effort! It really ticks me off! They have all of this information available through other government agencies with little to no additional cost to tax payers.

84. grace siu says:

I told the taker that we mailed the form already, maybe late. He came twice after that and left note. He came again tonight around 7:30pm. Will he get the update DB to show our record soon?

85. Linda says:

I am highly upset that I have filled the form and mailed it asap!! still I have someone leaving notes on my door and now calling me…. this in not goin as planned… what is really goin on??? is my neighborhood targetted!!

86. Linda, Thank you for participating in the 2010 Census. The follow-up visits was a quality assurance interview. The Census Bureau needs to ensure that the data collected is correct. Not every residence will receive a quality assurance interview.

87. Tom says:

I have asked and asked for a form through several sources over several months and still do not have one. I thought I had a right to participate, but…

88. DB says:

What I want to know is why, when I received the first questionaire, filled it out and returned it only 2 days after receiving it, so when I received the follow up questionaire, I threw it away (since I had already completed this and returned it), and now I have a census taker knocking on my door. Why I am being overwelled with census and others are not getting anything at all. This is very frustrating, especially when we are doing what is asked of us, to avoid being bothered with people showing up at our homes. If I wanted a census taker at my home, I would have not filled out my paperwork. Where did it go?